Sunday, April 22, 2007

R.I.P Richard Murrell

In the last few years I didn't get to see him often... Frankly I didn't really want too... and even tho that sounds mean I had my own stupid reasons for it...

often I found him somewhat embarrassing... crude... rude... racist...perverted... and I don't deal well with sick people...

He had sores on his body... he was missing all but one tooth... he smelled kinda bad usually... and was usually complaining about how ill he was or trying to tell us he was losing weight... (which we all knew he really wasn't)... he was loud and obnoxious...

But he was my grandpa...

He was my Grandfather and he was my Godfather...

I don't know if I was his favourite when I was growing up but I know that he was mine...

He taught me the meaning of "pull my finger" he'd always make me laugh when I was younger and later on snicker with the "Wreck d'em dayum near killed him" jokes...

I went to see him yesterday in the hospital and was there for a couple of hours... We've been saying for years that he had died years ago but just refused to lay down... Yesterday when I went to go see him, he had stopped responding to anything... he hadn't been coherent for days... he was laying in his bed with a line of oxygen hooked to him and an iv ... and his breathing was so shallow... raspy and so shallow...

I'm glad I had decided to not bring the kids in to see him... they can remember him as the grumpy old guy who'd complain that they were too loud and try to convince them to pull his finger from christmas time.

My Grandpa died last night after my visit.

It's still going to take me awhile to get used to saying that.

So in memory of my poor white trash smelly ol Grandad (and he knows I say that with all my heart)....

"Pull My Finger!"

3 comments:

reesie said...

I'm sorry for you loss babygirl, it's not easy losing a grandparent. You have my thought and prayers. >:D<

Anna said...

I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts hon, I'm so sorry.

*hugs*

Moon said...

Big hugs my friend. I'm sorry you lost your grandfather. I loved reading your tribute to him...it was very real and special...most of us can relate to knowing someone kind of like that...the good and the bad, and loving them for it.
My thoughts are with you Rae...big hugs again.