Friday, May 16, 2008

Measuring the Marigolds...

Inchworm, inchworm,
Measuring the marigolds,
You and your arithmetic,
You'll probably go far.
Inchworm, inchworm,
Measuring the marigolds
Seems to me you'd stop and see
How beautiful they are.


My son and my husband brought me flowers yesterday after school. As they sit here in a small glass on my desk and wilt away I'm watching the littlest of creatures walk around on them. My flowers came with a little friend, an inch worm. I don't know much about inch worms except that even as a kid when I'd find one I could watch it for who knows how long. They are a uniquely designed creature with their little legs by their head and little legs back at their butt and having to almost fold in half to move forward.

Everyone knows them as the Inch Worm but after looking it up I find out that they're actually the caterpillar stage of the Geometridae, a moth (aka Geometer Moth - Earth-measurer). The picture above is pretty much what the little guy looks like.

So here I sit at 4 o'clock in the morning watching an inchworm on my flowers as I watch another episode of Law & Order SVU and wonder how I've completely flipped my days and nights... again.

1 comment:

Anna said...

We need to catch up, it's been too long...did you get married and not tell me?

*hugs*