Saturday, December 15, 2012

We Are Not A Peaceful People.

I have a bunch to say today...Hopefully I'll get it all said before I have to take the family for our portrait...

Yesterday a gunman shot up a bunch of kids in a school in Connecticut and a knife wielding man cut down a group of kids in China...

I'm not going to sit here and lament over the problems with violence in the world today...because frankly violence has always been quite prevalent and I'm not saying that in some sort of callous manner to say everyone should just take this as a normal occurrence... I'm just saying there have always been tragedies...reckless abandonment...wars...mindless and senseless violence...that has rocked a world and made the inhabitants go 'whoa...I can't even comprehend the depths of this sorrow filled tragedy'...

The earthlings will take stock of themselves and vow to change the world and make it a better place and how we should have stricter gun laws....how God shouldn't have been taken out of the schools...how maybe if parents loved their kids more...maybe if there was no teen pregnancy...shootings are the presidents fault...
There will be lots of lobbying for anti-gun legislation....there will be religious groups that will be up in arms...

Look at history... there has always been violence...it's in our nature...just the majority of us can keep that part of our nature in check...we sit back and look upon situations like these with horror on our faces... but deep down inside we know that we could do that...if pushed far enough...we could all submit to that level of hatred, anger and malevolence...mowing down anyone in our path... whether with a gun, a knife, a car, or even right down to our bare hands...

We Are Not A Peaceful People.

As much as we reel in horror...I think it makes us stop and think.

I know I have a darkness within that I keep in check... I acknowledge it... I've even let it creep out a little bit over the years to sate it... just to hurt people...not to kill them...and not to physically hurt them (at least not since grade school)... but to make their life difficult...so I could watch them struggle...and have them look to the sky and say 'why me...'

But that's my darkness.

I sat down and watched my FB, statuses just kept scrolling up my screen about how their hearts were breaking... the lack of understanding how this could happen... the accusations... the stories of what happened...

Truly. No one knows what actually happened. At least no one that is still alive. The only person that knows what truly was happening or happened was the guy with the gun. Everything else is speculation...some more educated guesses then others...but all in all still speculation...

Maybe I have finally grown up...and decided to not have an opinion and reaction to everything...maybe I'm just still in 'I don't give a fuck' mode...maybe I'm no longer concerned about the world as a whole and am only interested in my own family...or maybe...I've just calloused...

Or maybe...just maybe...I've realized that I can't fix the worlds problems and that really the only thing I can do...is to try to raise my children in such a way that...they don't hurt the people they love, they consider the feelings of others, they're honest about and with everyone...and that violence should only ever be used as a very last resort...

I know that's not going to fix the world and it's problems... but maybe it could make it just a little bit better.

I had wanted to give an update about how my week has been and my happy moments...but on the tail end of this post...nah...

I'll post later on about the other stuff...

Just needed to get that out of my system...

No comments: