Saturday, March 12, 2005

We Stand On Guard For Thee....

It didn't really hit me til I saw the ages of them... and learned of their families... the born and unborn children that they had... the news spread across the nation like wildfire...

Four Mounties Slain...

sure when people find out I'm Canadian I get the "you hoser eh" jokes... and the "ooh don't call the mounties on me" jokes... or the "say aboot for me" jokes....or my least favourite "you're from Canadia eh?....*pause* well if Americans are from America, Canadians must be from Canadia"

I'm not exactly sure why this story bothers so much... i mean we've all started getting accustomed to people dying or being killed everyday... just watch the news... I can't even really begin to think of why it affects me so much.... I don't have family members that are Mounties... I never wanted to be one... I don't have any friends that are Mounties or wanted to be one...

I think it makes me so mad because... when someone thinks of Canada one of the things that is specific to just Canada is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.... it their beautiful red coats, and big hats....
they are one of the symbols of pride in Canada.... to be Canadian and see a RCMP whether it be on tv or in person... one feels atleast a small surge of pride....

I've never really claimed to be patriotic... but I guess deep down inside I truly am... and I spit on the grave of the dirt bag that shot those four officers.... his own father didn't even go to his funeral.... he got lucky... shooting/killing himself was the easy way out for him... if he hadn't have killed himself someone somewhere would have probably killed him while he slept in prison...

so I guess this is my own lil tribute or my own lil newsreport to you... or just my lil place to vent... I introduce to you the four honourable RCMP officers who were gunned down....

Reg. 48064, Cst. Peter Christopher SCHIEMANN, 25, was born at Petrolia, Ontario, and joined the Force at Stony Plain, Alberta. Upon completion of training at “Depot” in Regina, Saskatchewan, on November 27, 2000, Cst. Schiemann was posted to “K” Division, Alberta, namely at Mayerthorpe Detachment, where he worked in General Policing and Highway Patrol

Reg. 48568, Cst. Lionide Nicholas JOHNSTON, 32, joined the Force at Lac La Biche, Alberta, where he was born, and graduated from “Depot” in Regina, Saskatchewan, on April 17, 2001. Cst. Johnston was posted to “K” Division, Alberta, namely at Mayerthorpe Detachment, where he worked in First Nations Policing and General Policing

Reg. 49673, Cst. Anthony Fitzgerald Orion GORDON
, 28, was born at Edmonton, Alberta, and joined the Force at Red Deer, Alberta. Upon completion of training at “Depot” in Regina, Saskatchewan, on October 15, 2002, Cst. Gordon was posted to “K” Division, Alberta, namely at Whitecourt Town Detachment, where he worked in General Policing and Highway Patrol.

Reg. 51874, Cst. Brock Warren MYROL
, 29, was born at Outlook, Saskatchewan, and joined the Force at Red Deer, Alberta. Upon completion of training at “Depot” in Regina, Saskatchewan, on February 7, 2005, Cst. Myrol was posted to “K” Division, Alberta, namely at Mayerthorpe Detachment, where he worked in General Policing.

I'm the first one to admit I have a problem with authority but man oh man I get so pissed off when I find out something bad happens to any of them... they take these jobs knowing full well that they may die anyday they go to work...

Thursday on my way into work... every Canadian flag (actually every flag...including American flags) that I saw was flying at half mast... it was depressing.... knowing why they were flying that way... I love the country where I'm from and the people who try their hardest to keep it safe... the Police, the RCMP, the Canadian Armed Forces and of course the Border Agents ;)

ok so the last one was a bit of sarcasm.... but border agents do have their place as well...

anyway enough ranting, raving, fussing and venting from me...

I hope that dirt bag rots in his own fiery eternal hell.... thats pretty strong coming from me since I don't believe in hell... and here I wasn't going to post anything about this...

(for those of you who may not know...the title of todays blog is a line from the Canadian National Anthem)

1 comment:

Moon said...

You have echoed many of my own sentiments Rae. I also agree that the RCMP does insite a feeling of pride as canadians. They are regularly regarded among some of the best police forces in the world and no matter where they are seen, they are recognized immediately. My heart was heavy for the fallen and their families. It also made me cringe at how young they were. I was touched by the turnout at the service. Seeing contingents from many services from all over canada and even some from the US was impressive.
I have been to the RCMP training facilities in Regina. There is also a museum there. I enjoyed visiting the history of it all.

I guess I wanted to just say a big heartfelt thanks for your post about the whole thing. Many canadians were united in the feelings of loss and saddness no matter what degree of pratriotism or the distance between them and the town it all happened. My hopes are that the families suffering, recieve as much support and help they need to start the long road to healing. ............hugs