Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Mooooooooooooooooooooouse!

So I said I wouldn't post until I had something to actually post about... well in the computer world where this is kept only those who love their computers as I love mine would appreciate my problems over here... especially those who when their computer has a virus takes it into a shop to get it fixed because they don't know enough to do it themselves...

So yesterday I'm working away on fuck all on my computer and I notice that my mouse is acting a little funny... first thought.. crap hope I don't have some weird ass virus... update virus scanner... all up to date... run a scan on the computer... nothing... says it's as healthy as can be.

Mouse gets worse... only way to describe it is it was acting posessed. Like someone was holding down the left button and making circles and lines back and forth across my screen, of course opening anything that it happened to come across. Frustrating to say the least.

So I try restarting the computer... you know all the tech-y stuff you're supposed to do when microsoft starts messin with your head...

ends up that my computer no longer was recognizing my mouse... great...

So I complain to Raistlan and he gives me his usual answer when I tell him that the computer is acting like a narf... reformat... the word that makes me whine like a new born kitten... I hate that word... only because it takes so long for me to get everything set back up again...

of course by this time the mouse is dead...
*dramatic pause* It's Dead Jim!
*look of shock* are you sure Bones, can't you do something?!
*scowl* Damnit Captain I'm a Doctor not a Computer Engineer!!

*SIGH*

ok so I agree to the reformat I knew it was about time for one anyway...
So we get home and he moves all the stuff that I want to save and starts the process...
I being a good girl stayed out of the way or else I would have bombarded him with so many annoying questionshe woulda yelled at me... questions I already knew the answer too... cause see it's not that I don't know how to do the reformat... it's that I don't have the patience to deal with it...

So I go into the bedroom far away from the computer and I let Raistlan 'Bones The Computer Doctor' do his thing...
I fell asleep...
I woke up a couple of times... but pretty much my head was so hurty that I just went to sleep...
woke up at midnight to Raistlan telling me 'nope the mouse is dead'
I went pale the world around me started to spin and I think I started to black out...

first thing I did... I downloaded and installed Firefox... oh yeah you know it ;)

so then I go to google and type in 'windows keyboard shortcuts' .... oh yeah... I mean c'mon didn't you see that coming? :P

so all last night nothing but keyboard shortcuts and key commands... was feeling pretty good about myself after downloading and installing... yahoo, skype, my cams drivers, firefox and learning how to go from screen to screen and minimize and maximize and tab thru windows... see it seems like nothing to all you mouse users... but I dare you.. nay I challenge you to unplug your mouse and reset up your computers manually with no clicky clicky :P

So today I get a call from Raistlan he says "I picked up a cheap 8 dollar mouse to get us by til pay day when we can get a good one"
"Yay!!"

So Raistlan is coming home and we see him walking down the street, Keenan runs out to meet him at the door, then comes running back in with a box behind his back.
I picked a hand... he hands me the little box with a mouse on it.
I open up the box and pull this mangled mess of cardboard out of it and look in the box...
nothing there but a piece of paper...
I look in the mess of cardboard... no mouse...
I chuckle...
Raistlan walks into the livingroom... here's the conversation..
Me- "very funny now where's the mouse?"
Him - confused look
Me - uh oh look
Him - "what do you mean where's the mouse? it's in the box"
Me- "uh... no it's not.. you mean you didn't take it out and put it in your pocket as a joke"
Him - sits down in the chair looking muddled "no"
Me - "hmm so you paid 8 bucks for an empty box"
He picks up box and starts looking inside it....sits back down in the chair a bit dejected
I pull out the reciept and dial the number for the store...

it's 5:46pm and it's closed... apparently they close at 5pm... *sigh*
I (using no mouse) look up the number for the head office (happens to be in Quebec)
I talked to Nick.... who said that if he (Raistlan) has any problems getting a mouse to call head office... "alright Nick I'll quote you on that"

So...
no mouse again ;)

and I've now also set up my music and been mushing and downloaded a couple of other things and installed them as well...

BAH!
who needs a mouse? ;)

well ok I still do because there is some stuff you just can't do without one ;)

However on a good note... Raistlan found a mouse he likes and it'll be on sale til the end of the month... :D yay!

1 comment:

utenzi said...

This is going to sound dumb, and it only applies if you're using a cordless mouse, but could the battery be dead? The symptoms you described, Rae, sound an awful lot like how a mouse acts when the batteries are dying.

As for the tv show Bones, I hate technical goofs and that show is too full of them. And the lead actress just annoys me. I watch some of the CSI programs and they're full of mistakes also but they don't annoy me so it's probably more the actress than the show itself.