Monday, November 22, 2010

Loneliness and Revelation: A Study Of The Sacred

Loneliness isn't something I want to conquer or vanquish... it's more something I'd like to understand and get to know better. Not saying that I want loneliness in my life so that I can understand it. Rather I'd like to better understand it without having to deal with it. That's a pipe dream for me.

Loneliness and Depression sort of walk hand in hand. When you're depressed you feel like no other human being in the world could possibly understand how you feel and everything they say to try to 'cheer you up' comes across sounding harsh, too cheery, non-understanding, and many other things that they really don't mean. It seems like you'll never be able to wake up happy again, of course depending on the level of depression at the time.

Depression comes from Loneliness and Loneliness comes from Depression... the two can really get people caught up in a vicious cycle that could be quite detrimental to ones life.

A lot of times for myself personally it's a case that I get to feeling depressed and that leaves me feeling quite lonely.

I went to a Pub Moot last night and I'm sure that it was because of the author that was there and his book as to why it's even going through my mind today... though I felt a strange connection to this guys book before I ever met him. The title of it is Loneliness and Revelation: A study of the sacred (by Brendan Myers) and that caught my attention right off the bat.

I think part of the reason I wanted to get into the different psychology courses and became a counsellor/therapist is because I wanted to better understand the human condition and find ways that I could help people cope with things that brought them to the state of depression/loneliness two of the major components that I've found that lead to drugs use/alcoholism.

Watching shows like Hoarders/Intervention you pick up that generally the underlying factor for the problem that they're dealing with tends to be either depression or loneliness and that one or the other was a catalyst for the other one and that it was a spiral.

A lot of people don't want to admit when they're depressed or lonely. Why? Well because they think it makes them look weak, and too many people do look at depression or loneliness as a weakness.

I admit that I get both. I get so lonely and so depressed at times that I want to lock myself away from people. In the back of my mind when I'm feeling that way I generally have my own voice in my head that tells me that what I'm doing is wrong and that I need to just get over it and buck up. I generally can talk myself out of a funk, however I need that few days or so to do that. I don't need or actually like when, people telling me to cheer up, telling me that everything will be ok, or that there is a silver lining. I actually don't want anyone to say anything, I just want to work it out myself.

I tried medications and they're not for me. I didn't like the way they made me feel physically and truthfully I just felt foggy in my brain. So now I just work it out myself through other means. I understand that's not for everyone and I'm not going to knock those who take medications. I will knock those who turn to destructive behaviours, because I have been there as well and they're not as helpful as they may seem.

There have been plenty of times that I've become friends with others just to find out that they suffer from depression and/or loneliness, after a little while of working on it with me they tend to wander off and I find myself wondering why it was they came into my life.

hrm... I got dizzy and lost my train of thought so I guess I'll have to continue this thought later...

No comments: