Monday, February 27, 2012

I often stop and wonder what's wrong with humanity...

I am not Jewish nor is anyone in my family. None of my family (that I know of) fought in WWII. However when I hear about the stories of those times and what happened to the Jewish people (and others who were in Concentration/Extermination Camps) I can't help but feel sad, angry and disheartened. I found this on Twitter today and found that I really just longed to go there.  Not so that I can gawk, but more so that I can grieve, if that makes any sense. So that I can feel apart of that history and really be able to understand the magnitude of what happened there.

It's getting to a time now where there's not going to be many survivors or soldiers left to tell the stories of what happened during that time. It will be just another war that will be read about in history books written likely by those who weren't even alive when it happened.

I once told The Man's Nana that she should take all the letters that she and his Grandpa sent back and forth during the war and put them into a book. He was there on D Day when they stormed the beaches. She wrote him nearly every single day, and he of course wrote her back as often as he could. Because of her age and the way her hands will start to bother her she had taken to reading the letters each night before going to bed because she could no longer hold a book for any length of time. She relayed how she felt really bad because after he had come back from the war during a big argument that they had, she picked up a stack of them and threw them into the fireplace, into a fire. You could see the sadness in her eyes when telling the story.

I loved when we would visit and she would tell us about how the women joined the war efforts as well and she had become a riveter. She helped build the planes by putting the rivets in where they needed to be. She'd also go on to tell us about how even though there was a war going on and he was over seas he had told her that he wanted her to go out and still have fun, so she'd go out swing dancing with friends but when she got home she'd reread the letters he had sent her.

I'm not a fan of war, I don't romanticize it. Don't particularly think it's a good thing at all.

As a matter of fact...secret confession time...I love war movies for some reason, I still haven't figured out why since I dislike war...but...I cry during them...nearly every single one that I've ever seen I will undoubtedly cry.

I'm not sure exactly where this post came from but I just felt compelled to write after seeing the pictures...they brought tears to my eyes...then again I was a little emotional already to start with.

No comments: