Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Prom? At age 30 something?

"I remember feeling so sad when you broke your ankle, you were so enthused and raring to go about roller derby. I remember you were one of the first ones to get different wheels for your skates. Those bright blue ones that look like gummy bears, they're all clear but bright blue. I hope you can get back on your skates soon."

A quote from one of the girls at the 80's themed derby prom we had last Saturday. It was a lot of fun. I believe I had a good time. There seems to be a lot of pictures of me smiling or laughing. I don't really remember outwardly being happy though.

The Man came home the night before. I'm glad he did. I'm sure he was sick of hearing me crying on the phone from 5 hrs away. I wasn't ready to be on my own with the kids yet. The facade falls away after they go to bed.

So because he was home we had to run around and find him an 80's themed outfit for the prom. He looked a lot different. In high school he was the guy that pretty much started the emo movement long black trench coat, black silk shirt, black jeans, black docs... so to see him do this look...way fun... and even though he isn't wearing the eye liner any more...he's still rocking the hawk with the bushy beard...it's kind of awesome the things he'll do for me.

Burton was my date for the evening and we kept telling every one that The Man was our taxi driver. Unfortunately The Man wasn't thinking that night and didn't get a pic of Burton and I dancing together.

One thing that definitely was interesting to watch was all the latent lesbianism come seeping out as the party goers got more and more drunk. I agree with Burton... She said one of the reasons she wouldn't do anything with anyone from derby is it seems that they require to be drunk to do it.

Also I know I could be a very big drinker...but when we all get together to party whether it's the end of the year function or after parties...these derby girls sure know how to pack away the booze.

I was glad to see that Leethal came out that night...she busted her right ankle pretty badly the Monday before. I felt bad that she did. I broke my fib when I went down in June but she did both her fib and tib...I definitely can understand her pain.

Freshmeat training started this past Monday...bit sad that I couldn't be there skating with them...

Even though I got the doctors note saying I could go back to training in a non-full contact role...my ankle's been bugging me enough to make the right decision and stay off of it longer. I may still go to the Rainbow Rink in the states to do a bit of skating, but not on a weekly basis or anything. I'll be seeing how I'm feeling about it in the new year and hopefully get back to practice.

I was talking to  one of the girls on Saturday about some of the reactions I've gotten about me getting back on my skates, and just sort of shook my head. If people don't skate or derby, they just don't get it, they don't get the addiction to it, they don't get the awesomeness you feel while doing it. No amount of trying to explain it to them will ever get them to understand. It's like how Burton loves loves loves the endurance portion of training, even I think she's nuts but I at least understand.


No comments: