Friday, September 19, 2008

Swift says, "Mice? Ugh"

Birds... Possums... Skulls... Oh My...

I was awoken this morning to a small voice saying the following...
"Umm... mum... one of the birds got out and it's in the bathroom..."

first... why tell me, it's daddy he deals with in the morning... that's the dude that takes him to school... why wake me from only 3 maybe 4 hours of sleep...

I grumble out a 'mhmm' of some sort... and try to ignore what I just heard even though I know full well that the bathroom window is open...

the man stirs beside me... I tell him to go check it out... then we hear...

"Umm... Mum... There's two in the bathroom..." long pause as child looks back toward the bathroom door which is closed now... "And they aren't ours"

A quirk of the eyebrow as I wake much more this time and do the frowning trying to comprehend 'What?!'

The man gets up and tells me he's on it. Thank goodness, I try to go back to sleep but know that the mice are nearby and start getting creeped out...

The man comes back... yep two outdoor birds that it would be a bit more cozy in our bathroom instead of outside on the line outside the window... He got them out ... all is well and all involved are alive and harm-free.

All day today I was cleaning out the kitchen, throwing away a lot of unneed stuff and cleaning up a lot of crap that should have been done ages ago... all the while I'm doing that there is a horde of mice (I shit you not about the number of them) literally playing out in the open, eating some poisoned food, chasing each other around and so forth... I was afraid that one was gonna try to climb the leaning tower of creeped out Rae...

The phone rang just before 3 the man missed the bus so I had to go and run to get the littlest of the boychildren... on the way there I see a very well preserved bird skull... I left it as I had to hurry and get into the park incase he had gotten out a bit early... So it was still there on the way back... oh yeah I'm about to gross you out... I picked it up and brought it home... and of course followed my mothers orders... always wash your hands... it's gonna look real good on my altar... but it was just fascinating on how it was so well preserved...

So after all the boys get home... we work like the dickens... (what ever it is that really means) to accomplish one goal... getting all the boxes grandma had brought upstairs and piled up so that we don't have to trip all over them... kitchen tidied...check... boxes in a neat pile... check! Everyone got a squishee and now all is well... sorta ...

On our way back up the stairs the boys all make it to the top where the oldest of the boychildren drops a real stinker of a fart for me to walk into... how nice... gotta love boys... I heard a scratching sound but I'm so used to it from living with mice that I didn't think anything of it... standing with one foot on the top step and the other on the next step down, I hear it again... and then out of the darkness of the landing from behind the recycling box and from underneath the chair this grey blur comes streaking toward me and wham! runs into my shin before falling a couple of steps and then running the rest of the way down... yep a opossum/possum attacked me (well not really) but I screamed so loud I scared the neighbours next door who were all gathered out on the porch of the house behind us...
And ya know it was the same little sucker that tried to eat my chinese food a couple weeks back... long story but anyway... so I think he's been living behind our recycling box... and he's just little... like he should still be with his mama... and of course I get the look from the man that says 'leave it outside, you are not his mama'...

So all in all it's been quite the odd day when it comes to animals...

No comments: