Thursday, October 28, 2004

Children Have Feelings Too...

Sometimes I forget that other people don't love my children as much as I do....
I had a friend come over today with her latest boy...Keenan was in the bedroom playing the video games on the Nintendo 64 (I can hear the groans and grunting from here...and you know what I have to say to you people...shut the fuck up....we have educational games for the kids as well as beat 'em up kinda games. But anyway...)
My friend wanted to know where Keenan was so she could say hi to him and see what he was doing. So I was left in the livingroom to chit chat with her latest find from the bar...who just so happens to be another welfare bum who is an idiot as well....but I digress...
So anyway, she comes back out of the bedroom and she starts telling me about the night before and what happened at the bar blah blah blah....
Keenan comes running out of the room and starts telling my friend about his game that he's playing...how the princess is sad, because she got stolen from her home, and how he has to go to the castle and save the princess....So my friend does the mock expression of enthusiasm that most of us do when talking to kids about something that excites them...he gets really excited and tries to ask her to come and see the castle...she turned her back to him and starts talking to me about all the booze she drank the night before and how she danced and blah blah blah...
I look past her hip (as shes standing infront of my chair) to see Keenans little tiny 3 year old shoulders sag and his little chin start to quiver as the person who was just two seconds before hand so excited about what he was doing, completely reject him.
At this point I stop listening to whatever it was she was babbling about...
I catch Keenans gaze as he's about to turn around and walk back to the bedroom, I motioned to him to come over to where I was sitting...(she was still babbling something about some guy she had been dancing with and how she decided that he wasn't for her and so she picked up this guy thats in my livingroom) I whispered in his ear that as soon as she was gone he could she me the castle. He nodded and went back into the bedroom.
You can knock them down but they will get back up and keep trying.
About 5 minutes later Keenan comes walking back out with a game in his hand and walks over to my friend and says "c'mon my show you lava wurld" she turns to him and says "not now buddy, maybe next time" and turns back to me. Again same thing Keenan is upset that she isn't interested in what he's doing anymore. So I said to Keenan "it's ok bug she's gotta go now, she's going bye bye" He nodded and went back to the bedroom.
About 5 minutes later I made my friend realize that it was time for her to go, walked them to the door.
I walked into the bedroom, picked up Keenan and put him in my lap and let him show me everything that he wanted to show her.
Sometimes people who don't have children don't realize just how easily childrens feelings can get hurt.
At the time I was just mad at how she had rejected him when it was no longer any interest to her as to what he was doing. When I sat down it made me sad for him and I started to cry that she had hurt his feelings like that.
I'm sorry but if you don't have time for my children, I don't have time to listen to you go gah gah over boys and booze.
Whats worse about the whole situation is this girl is going to school to become a Youth Worker (working with children who have behavioural problems) what a sad thought....

No comments: