Thursday, October 21, 2004

Samhain...

To the ancient Celts, it was the time when fattened summer cattle were slaughtered and the meat preserved, leaving only the breeding stock alive. Everyone wondered if there would be food and fodder enough for the village and its animals to survive the winter.

On this night, the veil between the worlds is the thinnest; according to lore, the spirits of the departed return to this plane to be with their loved ones among the living. In some regions, places are set at the table for such spirit folk, in a rite called "The Dumb Supper" (in the sense of mute or silent).

Although this is the Celtic "New Years Eve," in some traditions it is only the end of one year - not as the beginning of the next. The period from November 1st until Yule is regarded as an appropriate time for rest and deep reflection, not belonging to the old year or the new - a time out of time.

Samhain is a very, very ancient holy day: on the wheel of the year it is opposite Beltane, and these festivals of death and life are the oldest and most sacred of the Great Sabbats.

During this period it is appropriate to rest, reflect and meditate more than usual, and indulge in quiet activities such as reading and writing, or handicrafts. Of course everyone's life is likely to become busy as they get closer to Yule, which marks the rebirth of the sun and the beginning of a new turn of the wheel.
-Parts of this past section were taken from "Covencraft" by Amber K

Samhain (pronounced Sow-win), is one of my favourite times of year. Everything is in the process of change. All the major points I wanted to make about Samhain are above, I choose to pull it out of a book...well...because she said it better than I could've. LOL

Samhain is Halloween, incase ya hadn't figured that out by now. One of the things I have done in the past years is set up an altar in my house with a dumb supper, however this year because of lack of space I'm not going to be able to do that. I'm in the process of thinking of something I would like to do instead.
The time between Samhain and Yule for me is The Dark Times, not because I get depressed or anything like that. It's a time where I withdraw into myself and think of all the things I would like to get rid of in myself; negative thoughts about myself, grudges against others and so forth. Also this is a time to honour your ancestors and the lives they led. Unfortunately this is also the time when most deaths will occur, I have already heard of a couple and the season is just starting, however with support from family and friends, and also the knowledge that we will all be reunited again I am not saddened by death.

"If we cry at weddings, does that mean we should laugh at funerals" Well maybe not, for others wouldn't understand why it is we're laughing. However if you ask Shadow he'll tell you how I have been known to laugh at funerals and thats why I try to steer clear of them. ;) LOL

1 comment:

The Witch Doctor said...

Nope no tests ...LOL
And I've been trying to add ya for days...*kicks yahoo helper again and walks away*